BPN Community Subscribers are local schools, childcare providers, camps, classes, and child-related businesses & organizations that support BPN by purchasing a yearly subscription in exchange for publicizing their programs on BPN. These fees allow BPN to remain a not-for-profit, advertising-free resource for the entire community, and to continue to offer free subscriptions to parents.
About Community Subscriptions
BPN accepts subscriptions from schools and businesses in the community that serve parents and children:
Schools, daycares, camps, classes, teams, choruses and other programs that enroll children.
Examples: K-12 schools, childcare centers, daycares, preschools, summer camps, classes, sports teams
More info: FAQ for Daycares & Preschools ... FAQ for K-12 Schools ... FAQ for Classes, Camps, Groups & Teams
Businesses, medical practices & private practices that would like to publicize services specifically for parents, parents-to-be, families, or children.
Examples: pediatric practices, nanny agencies, child therapists, college advisors
More info: FAQ for Businesses
Institutions and nonprofit organizations that do not operate schools, classes, camps, or childcare and that serve parents, parents-to-be, families, or children.
Examples: public libraries, parent clubs, regional parks, churches, researchers at academic institutions
More info: FAQ for Non-Profits
Private individuals who offer one-on-one services to parents or children and are not a business as BPN defines it.
1. Programs that enroll multiple children in their programs, whether nonprofit or for-profit. The fee is based on the total capacity (see definition below) for all your sites/programs. (There are some exceptions for certain types of nonprofit classes and teams. See FAQ for Nonprofit Organizations for details.)
- $35/year for up to 8 children
- $75/year for a capacity of 9 - 30 children
- $150/year for a capacity of 31 - 60 children
- $200/year for a capacity of 61 - 130 children
- $250/year for a capacity of 131 or more children
- Free for public schools and city-operated programs
2. Businesses and organizations that offer other services to parents or children but that don't enroll multiple children in classes, schools, camps, etc.
- $250/year for businesses and private practices that serve parents or children, such as therapy practices, tutor businesses, and childcare referral services.
- $50/year for nonprofit organizations that charge a fee for parents or kids to use their services, but do not enroll children in classes, camps, or schools.
- $35/year for private individuals that are not businesses, that offer one-on-one services to parents and/or children, such as private tutors, nannies, and music teachers.
- Free for nonprofits that are not classes, camps, schools and don't charge any parents or kids to use any of their services. Examples: public libraries, regional parks, free childcare referral agencies.
Please contact us if you are unsure which category applies to you. We usually respond within 24 hours.
- Businesses, organizations, schools, preschools, daycares, camps, classes:
Post announcements and events to the BPN website, including openings in your program, upcoming classes, camp sessions and workshops, kid-friendly activities such as performances, informational events such as tours and open houses, general announcements about the services you provide, such as therapy and support. Your post will be public on the BPN website for 30 days, after which you can post a new announcement. You can have more than one active post if they are about different programs/activities. All new posts are included in the weekly Announcements newsletter, which is emailed to all subscribers. (more info about posting announcements)
A profile page on the BPN website that you can edit, with a description of your program or services, contact info, a link to your website, and additional information such as hours and ages. BPN parents can post new reviews of you directly to your profile page. Reviews of you that appeared in past newsletters are archived to your profile page, and any new recommendations that appear in Parent Q&A are linked to your profile page.
The name of your school or business will appear in the appropriate listings on our website such as "Preschools" or "Tutor Centers" or "Licensed Therapists." A special 'B' icon will be displayed next to your program's name to show that you are a BPN Community Subscriber. (more info)
- Individual subscribers ($35/year) have access to post to either the Tutor & Teacher Listing or the Childcare Listing. Individual subscribers do not have a profile page, nor can they post Announcements & Events.
All community subscribers also have access to the Marketplace listing, where you can view items that BPN subscribers are selling or giving away, post your own items, or request donations for your nonprofit.
BPN is the go-to resource for local parents looking for childcare, schools, classes, summer camps, and other family resources. This is due in part to BPN's longevity. Founded in 1993, BPN was one of the first online resources for parents in the Bay Area or anywhere else, and over the years has become widely known in the community as a beloved, trusted resource. More importantly, BPN's sole mission is helping local parents support each other, not generating revenue, promoting local businesses, or promoting a particular point of view -- we've always been run by volunteer parents, and have never accepted advertising or corporate or government sponsorship. As a result, BPN has grown just by word of mouth to tens of thousands of dedicated, actively-participating subscribers. The BPN website is used by parents and non-parents alike, in the Bay Area and beyond.
When you purchase a BPN subscription, you become a member of the BPN community. The message you want to share with parents has a wider, more receptive audience than almost any other venue. Best of all for our community subscribers, BPN's subscription fee is a fraction of what it costs to advertise in other venues!
- See BPN by the Numbers for current information about number of subscribers, website and newsletter access, and more
BPN's subscriber fees are based on your total capacity, even if you want to publicize only some of your programs. This is partly because it's too hard for us to keep track of which programs each business wants to post about. But also because we try to be fair about setting subscription fees, so that smaller programs pay less than bigger programs.
How to determine your capacity for the purpose of a BPN subscription fee:
Preschools and daycares: The capacity on your state-issued facility license, even if you enroll fewer children than you are licensed for.
Classes, camps, K-12 schools, teams, etc.: The maximum number of students that can be accommodated at all your facilities at the same time.
Different enrollments on different days: For preschools and childcare, use the capacity on your site license. For other types of programs, use the maximum number of students that can be accommodated at your facilities at the same time.
More than one site: If you have more than one site, you must subscribe all your sites at the same time, and your fee is based on your total capacity -- that is, the maximum number of children that can be enrolled, at all sites combined, at any point in time. BPN does not accept subscriptions for some of your sites but not others. (Exception: if your program is part of a larger region-wide or nation-wide organization or group, such as the YMCA or a summer camp franchise, you may subscribe only the site that you are interested in publicizing, and your subscription fee is based on the capacity for your site alone.)
Schools that operate a preschool: If you operate both a K-12 school and a preschool, you must subscribe your school and preschool separately, and pay two fees -- one based on your school's capacity and the other based on the capacity on your preschool's license. There are exceptions for preschools that include only K-1 grades. Please contact us for more information.
Schools that operate a summer camp or classes: K-12 schools must purchase separate subscriptions for any programs they operate besides their K-12 school, such as summer programs and after-school classes, if the camp or classes are open to children not enrolled at your school.
Businesses & organizations that offer classes/camps as well as other services:
Tutor businesses: If you offer classes or camps as well as one-on-one instruction or advising, you must subscribe as a business.
Nonprofits: If you offer classes or camps as well as events, even if some events or classes are free, you must still subscribe as a class based on your capacity.
Please contact us if you are not sure what your subscription fee should be. We usually respond within 24 hours.
These subscriptions are free:
- Parent subscriptions
- Public schools and public charter schools
- Childcare programs operated by a school district (all staff are schools district employees)
- City-operated camps, classes, and childcare (all staff are city employees)
- Nonprofit tax-exempt organizations that are free for all parents and kids to access all programs and services, and that do not operate a school, camp, or classes.
- Teenagers in middle school or high school offering babysitting or tutoring.
All other community subscribers must pay fees listed above.
Community subscriptions are the only revenue BPN has. For more than 20 years, BPN was free for everyone and was run entirely by parent volunteers. BPN has never accepted paid advertising or corporate sponsorship. In order to remain an advertising-free resource for the community that is free for parents, we need a way to generate revenue. Here is a letter from BPN's founder Ginger Ogle explaining why Community Subscriptions are so important to BPN.
If you have never subscribed on this website, click the 'subscribe' link in the upper right corner or any page on the website or go directly to the Subscribe page.
If you have already subscribed on this website, as a parent for example, you will need to upgrade your subscription. Login to your account and go directly to the Subscribe page.
We use Paypal to manage community subscriptions. If you don't already have a Paypal account, you will be given the opportunity to open a Paypal account when you subscribe on BPN. You can use a credit card, debit card, or a bank account to open a Paypal account. See the FAQ for Purchasing a Community Subscription for more information.
Subscriptions renew automatically every year unless you cancel automatic payment on your Paypal account before your renewal date. As long as your subscription is renewing automatically every year, your yearly subscription fee will continue at the same amount, even if BPN raises subscription fees later. However if your subscription expires for any reason, and you decide to subscribe again, you will need to subscribe at current rates. See the FAQ for Purchasing a Community Subscription for more information.