Subscribing to BPN as a K-12 School
How-To for School Subscribers
Questions from Parents about their child's school
Public, charter and private K-12 schools in the San Francisco Bay Area can subscribe to BPN and post about their programs. Subscriptions are accepted for some out-of-town boarding schools that attract Bay Area kids.
Click 'subscribe' in the upper right corner of this website, or if you are already a BPN subscriber, go directly to the Subscribe page. See About Community Subscriptions to view subscription amounts and details about subscribing.
Public schools and charter schools may subscribe for free. For private schools, the subscription fee is based on the maximum number of students you can accommodate at your school. Smaller schools pay less than larger schools. You can view the range of subscription fees here: About Community Subscribers. On that page there is also information about how we define capacity, and how to subscribe if you have multiple sites or multiple programs.
If your school offers classes outside of school hours to students who are not enrolled at your school, and the classes take place at your school, your school subscription includes the ability to post about your classes as long as the capacity for your classes doesn't exceed your school's capacity. If your classes have a separate profile page, your school subscription will allow you to maintain both.
If your school operates a camp during summer or during holidays when school isn't in session, your school subscription includes the ability to post about your camp as long as the capacity for your camp doesn't exceed your school's capacity. If your camp has a separate profile page, your school subscription will allow you to maintain both.
Your K-12 school and preschool must each subscribe separately, and each must pay a separate subscription fee based on their own capacity, even if both accounts will be managed by the same person. You can either subscribe both your school and preschool at the same time and pay the total fee for both, or you can subscribe one first, and then visit the subscribe page again to subscribe the other.
Preschools have different criteria and eligibility on BPN from K-12 schools, such as licensing information, hours, and additional services offered. Therefore your school and preschool will each have their own profile page customized for the type of program. Preschools and schools often have different administrators, or different sites, or different enrollment criteria. Parents may enroll their child in the preschool but not in elementary school, or vice versa. For all of these reasons, BPN considers a preschool operated by a school to be a separate program, and your total subscription fee is based on this.
Please contact us if your school only includes only one or two grades, such as a preschool with a smaller K-1 component. In some cases you may be eligible for a smaller fee.
Many private schools are non-profit tax-exempt organizations. BPN offers a separate subscription for non-profit organizations that is in certain cases free. However, non-profits that operate a school, camp, or classes for kids must subscribe in the Schools/Classes/Camps category rather than the Non-Profit category. Your subscription amount is based on your enrollment capacity. Public schools may subscribe for free. If you are a non-profit organization and your school is free for all kids, please contact us to arrange a reduced or free subscription.
If you purchase a community subscription, you can update your profile page on BPN's website and post announcements about your programs
You can post announcements about:
- Openings at your school
- Job Openings at your school
- Summer programs if you offer them
And you can post events such as:
- Tours, open houses, and informational programs about your school
- Carnivals, fairs and other kid-friendly events at your school that are open to the public
- Parenting lectures or classes that are open to the public
To post, click 'Post a Message' when you're logged in on our website. For examples, see the Announcements newsletter that we mail on Friday - it includes all new announcements and upcoming events.
Note: Some of the fields on your page, such as the school's name, can only be edited by BPN administrators. If this field needs to be corrected, please contact us.
- Has Openings: Check this box if you currently have openings. Your school will be included in the list of K-12 Schools with Openings. Your page will also display "Has Openings" at the top, and parents can search on that. You can write details about your openings in "About the Program."
- About the Program: Type in a short description of your school, which will appear in a shaded box at the top of your profile page.
- Phone: This field accepts any format for phone numbers. You can enter more than one phone number, or add text such as "email preferred" or "leave a message."
- Email: Enter a full, valid email address. Parents will be able to click on this to send you an email.
- Website: Enter your school's website and it will be clickable.
- Address: Enter your school's street address and city
- Capacity: Enter the maximum number of students that can be enrolled in your school.
- Languages: Check any languages that are spoken at your school. Parents can search for this.
- Type of School: Check all grade levels at your school. Parents can search programs for this.
- Grade Range: The grades at your school, such as "K-8"
- Affiliation: This lets parents search for specific type of programs, such as religious affiliations, co-ops, or educational philosophies such as Waldorf or Montessori.
- Program Type: Check any that apply. This lets parents search for different types of schools.
There are two ways to let parents know about openings in your school:
1. Click 'Post a Message' to post to Announcements if you have immediate openings, or to Events if you have an open house or scheduled tours. Your announcement remains live for 30 days unless you unpublish it sooner. Your event will expire after the date of the event. Both announcements and events will be linked to your profile page. View Schools & Preschools with Openings and Schools: Info Sessions/Tours/Open Houses.
2. Edit your facility's page and check the "Has Openings" box at the top. "Currently Has Openings" will then be displayed prominently at the top of your page and in all search results. Your program will be automatically included in the list of facilities with openings when parents click "View K-12 Schools with Openings." Use the "About our program" box to provide details about your openings. When you no longer have openings, un-check the "Has Openings" box and edit "About our program" if you need to. For details, see How to Use Your Account Page.
Announcements and events can only be posted by community subscribers, not parent subscribers. Here's why. If your child attends a private school, or a camp or class, the school/camp/class will need to purchase a community subscription in order to post events and announcements on BPN. If your child attends a public school or a charter school, it is free for the school to subscribe. Parents can subscribe on behalf of their child's public school. See the next section.
If you are a parent who's in charge of publicizing events for your child's public school, you can create an account on BPN for the school and then post events and announcements on their behalf. You will also be able to edit the school's profile page on the BPN website. The subscription is free for public schools. There are two ways to subscribe the school:
- Create a separate account for the school
This is preferred, because it lets you keep your parent account separate from the school's account. This way, you can share the school's login with other parents or staff at the school who need to post announcements, and when you move on, another parent or a staff member can take over the account. All posts will have the school's username and email on them, not yours. To subscribe the school, you will need an email address for the school's account that is different from your personal email address, such as "PTA [at] myschool.org" Log out of your parent account first, and then click the subscribe link in the upper right hand corner, and follow the instructions for "Community Subscribers >> Schools, Preschools, Camps, Classes, Daycare."
- Add the school's subscription to your own account
This method will also give you access to post announcements for the school, but you will be posting from your parent account. The disadvantage is that if somebody else at the school wants to post announcements, they will either have to forward them to you to post, or you will have to give them your login and password to access your account. Your username and email will appear on all posts for the school. To add the school to your own account: when you are logged in to your parent account on BPN, go directly to the Subscribe Page and follow the instructions for "Community Subscribers >> Schools, Preschools, Camps, Classes, Daycare."
In either case, a moderator will review your subscription and give you access to post, usually within 24 hours. Once your school's subscription is approved, you will see a link to edit the school's profile on your or the school's account page, and when you click Post a Message, you'll see buttons to post to Events or Announcements.
Login to your BPN parent account and navigate to the their profile page, using either the "Search BPN" box or the main navigation menu. If your school or class or camp doesn't yet have a profile page on BPN, please contact us and we'll make one. At the top of their profile page, you will see a "Parent Reviews" box. Type in your review, and after it is approved by a moderator it will appear on their profile page. Reviews of schools, camps, and classes can also be posted in BPN's Advice and Reviews Q&A forums. Please note: BPN accepts negative reviews, but only in response to a question from another parent in the Q&A forums, per our Negative Review policy. Negative reviews cannot be posted directly to a profile page.