Subscribing to BPN as a Business or Private Practice
Businesses and private practices that meet both of these conditions may subscribe to BPN as a Community Subscriber:
- You must be based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- You must be publicizing services and events that are specifically for parents, parents-to-be, families, or children.
- If you provide services for multiple children/parents at a time, such as classes, camps, schools, choruses and the like, you should instead subscribe as a school/class/camp.
- BPN does not accept announcements about ONLINE SERVICES (email, phone, Skype, YouTube, etc.) Therefore you will only be able to post about the in-person services you offer.
Click 'subscribe' in the upper right corner, or if you are already a BPN subscriber, go directly to the Subscribe page.
The Business subscription is $250 per year. BPN is a nonprofit and these subscriptions keep BPN online as a resource for the entire community.
- Ability to post regularly to the Announcements and Events listings on our website for one year. Current posts are also mailed to subscribers in a weekly Announcements newsletter.
- A profile page on our website that you can edit, that contains information about your business and a link to your own website. Parents who subscribe to BPN can post reviews of you directly to your profile page. Your profile page will be included in BPN's listings, in the category for your business's type of activity, such as "Pediatric Dentists."
For information about BPN's demographics and reach, see "Is it worth it for me to purchase a subscription?"
Once your subscription is approved, you will be able to login to the BPN website and go to your account page. There, you will see a link to edit your profile page, as well as a 'Post a Message' button that allows you to post an event or announcement. All postings are reviewed by a moderator before they become public on the website. You can unpublish your post at any time, and then post a new one.
- Announcements remain on the BPN website for 30 days. New announcements posted during the past week are included by title in the weekly Announcements newsletter, with a link to the full posting. You can post multiple announcements as long as each one is about a different topic.
- Events remain on the BPN website until the event date has passed. The weekly Announcements newsletter contains the titles of all events for the upcoming week, with links to the full postings. Up to 3 dates can be included on a single event posting, and multiple events can be posted as long as they are different.
- Tutor & Teacher Listing (for tutor businesses and academic counseling practices) is a listing of local tutors and teachers who subscribe to BPN, categorized by subject matter and region. Posts remain on the website for the duration of your subscription (one year.) Only one active post is accepted in the listing for each tutor/teacher. However, you can indicate multiple subjects that you tutor. The weekly Announcements newsletter contains a link to the Tutor/Teacher listing, and parents can search the listing on the website.
All posts from businesses and organizations include your username and a link to your profile page. BPN subscribers can click on your username to send you a message. You will also be able to include a Contact name and email/phone on all events and announcements. We recommend that you use your business name as your username, since all posts include your username. See How to Change Your Password, Username or Email if you'd like to change your username.
When you are logged in, go to your profile page and click the Edit tab. Or, go to your account page, find the "My Profile Page" section, and click 'edit' next to the profile page you want to edit. Note that some fields such as the name of your business can only be edited by BPN administrator. Please contact us if you need to change the name of your business.
- About Your Business or Organization: Type in a short description of your school, which will appear in a shaded box at the top of your profile page.
- Phone: This field accepts any format for phone numbers. You can enter more than one phone number, or add text such as "email preferred" or "leave a message."
- Email: Enter a full, valid email address. Parents will be able to click on this to send you an email.
- Website: Enter your website and it will be clickable.
Individuals and groups that use classroom or performance space belonging to another non-profit or business or must subscribe separately as their own business, non-profit, or individual in order to publicize their events and services.
1. A college advisor who reserves a meeting room at a public library to give a free lecture must subscribe as a business in order to post an announcement about her event.
2. A piano teacher who rents studio space for one-on-one lessons from a music business should subscribe as a tutor/teacher. The music business can subscribe separately as a business.
3. A performer who rents a non-profit concert hall can subscribe separately to post an announcement about the event, or the concert hall can itself subscribe and post about all events at its venue.
BPN only accepts postings about (1) family-friendly events, or (2) services, programs, and events specifically for children, parents, parents-to-be, or families. You will not be able to post about events or services for adults who are not parents or parents-to-be. BPN also does not accept posts about online classes, advising, etc. In-person only.
Examples of businesses that can subscribe:
therapists, tutoring centers, college advisors, midwife and doula practices, pediatric practices, nanny agencies, parent support groups, prenatal and postnatal exercise classes, children's clothing stores.
- You can see a list of our business subscribers here: List of Businesses & Organizations
- Please contact us if you aren't sure whether you should subscribe as a business.
You may subscribe as a parent for free, and you will have access to the parent sections of the BPN website, including Parent Q&A (but you must post as a parent, not as a business, per BPN policy.) However, if you would like to publicize your business, you will need to purchase a business subscription so you can post announcements and events -- parent subscribers don't have access to post these.
How to subscribe as both a business and a parent:
Are you already subscribed as a parent? If you want to combine your business and parent subscriptions under one account using the same email address, go to the Subscribe Page when you are logged in to your parent account, and choose the business account. If you'd prefer to create a separate business account under a different email address, log out of the BPN website first, and then go to the Subscribe Page and subscribe as a business.
Are you already subscribed as a business? Please contact us and tell us the ages of your children and we'll add parent access to your account. Or, if you'd prefer to have a separate parent account under a different email address, log out of the BPN website and then go to the Subscribe Page and subscribe as a parent.
- If you've never subscribed to BPN, create your parent account first on the Subscribe Page. Then follow the instructions in #1 above to create your business account.
If your business or clinical practice also operates camps or classes as a "side" activity, you must purchase a business subscription rather than a subscription based on the enrollment in your camps or classes, even if you plan to post only about your camps or classes.
- a tutoring business that also offers classes for multiple students
- a clinical center that also operates a summer camp
- a performance center that offers both classes and family-friendly events
Why? When a local business subscribes, we create a profile page on our website which has the effect of promoting your entire business to our 19,000+ subscribers as well as to the Bay Area community at large -- our website is a popular site for referrals and gets 700,000 page views per month. BPN is a nonprofit that's free for parents, with a staff of one, and our only income is from community subscriptions. We try to be fair to community members, charging larger businesses more to subscribe than smaller ones, so we need you to subscribe as a business, not as a summer camp that offers no other services to families besides the camp.