- Who can subscribe as a class, camp, or group?
- How much does it cost?
- How do I subscribe?
- What are the benefits of subscribing?
Your program must either be for children up to age 18, or specifically for parents or parents-to-be.
Your class, camps, team or group must be operated in the San Francisco Bay Area, EXCEPT for sleepaway camps, summer travel programs, and other residency programs that recruit Bay Area children.
Online classes: Normally BPN does not accept posts about online classes. However, during COVID, we are accepting posts about online classes from businesses that are otherwise eligible to subscribe (i.e., local businesses that offer in-person classes in normal times.) In some cases, other online businesses will be accepted but a business subscription is required. Contact us if you have questions.
Private tutors/teachers that offer one-on-one instruction: See Subscribing as a Tutor or Teacher.
The subscription fee depends on the type of program you operate and the maximum number of participants you can accommodate at once. Some programs are free. Nonprofits pay the same fees as for-profits except as noted below.
Free to subscribe:
- Classes, camps & groups that are operated by a city, county, or school district
- Classes, camps & groups that are free for all participants
- Volunteer-run parent support groups
- Nonprofit teams, clubs, and other groups that are free or low-cost and are operated by parent volunteers (see below).
- Cultural or religious groups that meet infrequently (see below)
$250 per year:
- Travel and residency programs
- Counseling, advising, or therapeutic programs
- The yearly fee is $75-$250 depending on the size of your program (your enrollment capacity). Click here to view subscription fee levels.
Click 'subscribe' in the upper right corner, or if you are already a BPN subscriber, go directly to the Subscribe page.
A profile page on our website with information about your program. Your current announcements and events are displayed on your profile page. Parents who subscribe to BPN can post their reviews of you directly to your profile page.
Your program is included in listings on our site, such as "Music classes & camps", or "Academic summer programs". Your posts are included in seasonal listings such as "Summer camps now enrolling." Your program's name will be highlighted in the listings with a special 'B' icon to show that you are a BPN Community Subscriber.
Post Announcements and Events to the BPN website, such as upcoming registrations, current openings, tours and open houses, kid-friendly events and activities such as carnivals and performances, and parent education events such as lectures. Posts are public on the BPN website for 30 days, after which you can post a new announcement. You can have more than one active post if they are about different programs. All new posts are included in the weekly Announcements newsletter, which is emailed to all subscribers. (view more info about posting announcements).
See "Is it worth it for me to purchase a subscription?" for information about BPN's demographics and reach.
If camps and classes are the primary activity of your nonprofit, and you charge your participants a fee or dues, you must pay the same subscription rate as all other camps and classes -- see How much does it cost? above. Note some types of programs are free or reduced.
Parent-run groups such as sports teams, scouting, and hobby clubs for kids may be eligible to subscribe for no cost or for a reduced fee:
Free to subscribe if the team or group is entirely organized and run by volunteers, is free for all participants, and there are no paid staff, directors, facilitators, or coaches.
- Reduced subscription fee ($50) if the team or group has 501(c)(3) status and is organized and run by volunteers, but charges a fee to participate and/or pays stipends to coaches.
All other sports teams must purchase a subscription based on their capacity. See How much does it cost? above.
- See also: Volunteer-run parent support groups
Classes that meet only a few hours a week in order to serve children of a particular cultural or religious background may be eligible for a reduced subscription fee. Typically these programs charge tuition by the semester or the year, and operate only on weekends or after school. Please Contact us to find out whether your program qualifies for a reduced fee.
City-run and school district run programs may subscribe to BPN for free. However, to qualify for a free subscription, the camp or class must be operated and staffed exclusively by employees of the city or school district. This means that if you teach a class in a city park or public/charter school, you must still purchase a subscription that is based on your capacity unless you are an employee of the city or school district that is hosting the class.
Foundations and other non-profits that are associated with a particular school district are not considered to be a public school because their funding does not come from state and federal taxes, so these nonprofits must subscribe at the same levels as other nonprofit camps and classes.
If you operate your program at someone else's site such as a school, park, library, or performance venue, you must still subscribe as a class/camp. Your subscription fee is based on the capacity of your class or camp, even if the site qualifies as a free non-profit.
- After-school classes at a public school that are not operated by the school itself, must subscribe as a class/camp based on the maximum capacity for the class
- Art classes taught at a city park but not operated by the city must subscribe as a class/camp based on the maximum capacity for the class
- Enrichment classes at a preschool that are not operated by the preschool itself, must subscribe as a class/camp based on the maximum capacity for the class