Adults and Suicide

Parent Q&A

  • Grief counselor with expertise in suicide

    (2 replies)

    Hi - we recently lost a parent to suicide, and we are having trouble coping. Can anyone recommend a grief counselor who specializes in these situations, preferably in the Oakland/Piedmont area, but Berkeley OK too? Thanks


    I recently lost my husband/father of my daughter very suddenly to a cardiac arrest.  I have been seeing Laura Kainik in Berkeley and she is wonderful.  I know that she does see children as well.  I'm unsure what her experience is dealing with children who have lost a parent to suicide, but her guidance has been tremendous in helping me with my new role as single parent of a daughter who lost her father.

    Hope this helps1

    Hi there, My children lost their other parent to suicide a little over a year ago. Circle of Care has been very good for them, its a peer support group for kids and their surviving parent. There are also " grief camps" that my kids love. Feel free to contact me if you want to hear more about these. 

Archived Q&A and Reviews

My sister is talking about suicide

Sept 1999

This is in reply to the posting regarding a therapist that specializes in Suicide Prevention. I am not sure where your sister lives. However, most cities / counties have suicide prevention services available. I have enclosed the phone number for the center in Berkeley. I am sure that they will be able to provide some advice and therapist referrals. Good Luck! Nikki

Suicide Prevention-Crisis Svc

Call 480-998-9331 (Scottsdale, AZ) to get a Jin Shin Jyutsu practitioner near you to help. I wish I had known about physio-philosophy for my own sister. This is *not* a band-aid, but gets to underlying causes to help the body-mind heal. My heart goes out to you. Nori

You need to take her to a hospital emergency room so she can be evaluated immediately. If she is at risk of killing herself they can hospitalize her immediately until she is no longer suicidal. If she has a plan then you need to seek immediate help for her. Good luck.

I don't have a doctor recommendation, but a great resource for you and your family is Crisis Support Services of Alameda County. The number (which is different depending on what part of the county you are calling from) is listed in the phone book and through information. CSS may not be able to refer you to particular doctors, but they do operate a 24-hour crisis hotline staffed by trained caring volunteers. They do suicide prevention and other crisis support as well. Give your sister the number, and maybe the rest of your family too --CSS can offer helpful advice and support, because it is important that you take care of yourselves, too. They also have some community referrals, and offer some other services (ask them). Good luck.

re: referrals to help the sister who is suicidal: There is a psychologist in Albany named Leah Statman who is also a Jin Shin practitioner. I knew her in a very different context (I took a parenting class from her) but I think she might be very helpful if you want to try Jin Shin. She has two numbers listed in the phone book: 525-5080 and 528-2984. Betsy