Doctor for Inattentive ADD & Sensory Seeking Issues

1. We are looking for a new pediatrician in Berkeley who accepts Cigna and understands ADD Inattentive type and Sensory Processing - Sensory Seeking issues.  Our pediatrician has twice referred us to specialists who then told us they were not the right person to help our daughter - after we spent hundreds of dollars on the appointment.  Therefore we want to find a new pediatrician who we can see for everyday medical stuff who also understands these issues and can help us with referrals as needed.  I was able to find a great OT who takes our insurance on my own, but we are still missing a few other pieces of the puzzle.

2.  We need a psychiatrist to do the evaluation for ADD Inattentive type who takes Cigna insurance.  Willing to drive to see a great person who accepts insurance.  Also interested in advice on non-medication treatments for this issue.

3. I'd like to find a therapist who I can talk to about parenting a more intense child who really understands these specific parenting issues.  I tried one person already but she didn't really understand.  Again I need a someone who accepts insurance.  We are already stretched thin paying Berkeley rent so that my daughter can go to BUSD.

Parent Replies

Parents, want to reply to this question? Sign in to post.

You may want to see a Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrician. Children's Hospital has 2 part time and UCSF also does. Not sure about the insurance piece.

No advice but can you please pass along OT’s name. 

For question #3, I recommend Marie Hopper, MFT ( She takes some insurance types and is a mom of an ADHD kiddo so will get it. I saw her in a different context for couples work that involved a lot of co-parenting issues and was impressed  with her insight and warm demeanor. She also offers a parent support group specifically on raising ADD/ADHD children.