BPN does not accept questions that only an expert would know the answer to, such as advice about legal, medical, scientific, or financial issues. Please instead consult with a doctor, lawyer, financial advisor, etc. The BPN website has many archived recommendations for professional services. You can ask for a new referral by posting a new question - click Post a Message in the main menu.
It is OK to ask about other parents' experiences with a particular problem. But if you are seeking advice about how to proceed on a legal issue, or looking for informed medical advice, BPN is not the right place to post.
Why we have this rule
BPN subscribers have the best of intentions and want to help their fellow parents, but incorrect information invariably gets posted when someone posts a question that has only one right answer, resulting in either mass confusion or lots of posts correcting the information. So we try to avoid that by not accepting questions that require expertise to answer.
BPN has no way to tell whether the person giving you legal or medical advice knows what they are talking about, and neither do you. BPN has a big audience and we don't want subscribers to get inaccurate information that could affect their health or their pocketbook from a well-meaning subscriber who is not actually trained in the law or medicine.
BPN subscribers who *are* lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc. cannot give you good advice based on a brief message you posted to the newsletters. In fact, this is prohibited by many professional organizations, because these issues are often complex, and require a more in-depth and/or in-person consultation to give accurate advice.
Examples of questions that BPN does not accept:
- Can I get full physical custody of my child if my ex is an alcoholic?
- Do I have to pay income taxes for my nanny?
- Are vaccinations safe?
- Does my neighbor have a legal right to use my driveway?
- Are there alternative treatments for my child's asthma?
Examples of questions that BPN DOES accept:
- What is your experience managing shared custody with your ex?
- Any suggestions for avoiding colds and flu?
- How can I find health insurance for my nanny?
- Have you ever filed for bankruptcy?
- What was the outcome when you had hernia surgery?