BPN accepts reviews only from subscribers who have no personal interest in the business or school they are recommending, per the Policy on Advertising & Promotion. BPN's policies for posting reviews state that all reviews must be posted by a parent who describes first-hand experience with the school or business they are reviewing, and who does not expect any benefit from posting the review. Therefore BPN does not accept reviews of one's own business, or reviews from employees, or reviews posted by friends, colleagues or family members of the business owner. BPN also does not accept reviews that were posted in exchange for any type of favor or compensation (see Compensated and Reciprocal Reviews.)
Unfortunately, reviews are sometimes posted on BPN that are deliberately designed to be misleading in order to conceal a conflict of interest. This is rare on BPN, since all posts are reviewed by a moderator before being published. But deceptive posts do get past us, despite our best efforts. Examples from the past that we've uncovered:
- A tutor who created several fake parent accounts in order to post multiple reviews of herself.
- A children's performer who subscribed under a fake name and posted a negative review of a competitor.
- A therapist who posted 10 anonymous reviews of herself over a 4-year period.
- A college advisor who posted anonymous reviews of herself and whose partner also posted several reviews of her.
- A contractor whose wife created fake accounts to post dozens of reviews of him.
If we determine that you posted a review of your own business by misrepresenting yourself as a client, we will disable your account, remove all reviews of your business from the website, and we won't accept further posts about your business. See Removing Reviews from the BPN Website.
If we determine that a review was posted by a friend, colleague, employee, or family member who concealed their relationship to the business in their review, we remove the review and notify the poster about BPN policy. Multiple instances of this will result in the poster's subscription being revoked, and the removal of all reviews of the business. BPN will not accept further posts about the business. See Removing Reviews from the BPN Website.