Seeking a Foreign-Born Therapist

Archived Q&A and Reviews


September 2004

I am from France and I moved to Berkeley to be with my American husband. We have one child and I love my family, but I am often very homesick and I have a lot of issues related to being in the US. I'd like to see a therapist, but I'd really like to see someone who is from another country (preferably European) who can really relate to my experience. Does anyone have any recommendations? Merci

I can highly recommend Tali Barr. She is a wonderful therapist -- very effective and compassionate. Her office phone number is 433-2800. She is from another country (not sure if it's Europe). lauren

I would like to recommend Helga Cohen, a MFT in Oakland. I have seen her several times in the past for a few years, and I found her to be quite helpful. She's from Germany, and speaks English, German and French.

4281 Piedmont Ave. Suite 3 Oakland, CA 94611 (510) 601-8404

I found this info about her practice on the net: Special Interests: Couples/premarital counseling, depression, anxiety, adult attention deficit disorder, ethnic and cultural problems (Europe, Eastern Europe, South and Central America), divorce and custody mediation, parenting, post-traumatic stress, young adults, expressive arts therapy. Languages: English, German, and French.

Good luck! Mischa

I recommend Eike Diebold, Marriage and Family therapist. She's on Dwight Way near Telegraph. 510-843-1396. I saw her with my young daughter and enjoyed working with her. Beatrice