Seeking student of Speech Language Pathology

I am seeking a student currently enrolled in an SLP program who would like some hands on experience over the summer with my child.  We are unable to travel to the SLP clinics around the bay area but I hope to find someone willing to come to the East Bay for extra experience.  Please let me know if you would like to speak more.

Parent Replies

New responses are no longer being accepted.

As a licensed and ASHA certified SLP with 20+ years of experience, I have to tell you that what you are asking is essentially illegal. SLP students are not allowed to work in the field unsupervised. They have to graduate and complete a Clinical Fellowship Year. If you are looking for a babysitter with some extra skills, that's fine, however it is illegal and unethical to ask a SLP student to engage in practice prior to certification. If your child requires SLP services, they are provided for free as part of Early Intervention Services, which can be accessed through your county health dept. and also through private practices.  As a mom, I also advise against allowing uncertified therapists to work with kids.

P.S. Early Intervention services usually take place in the home, no travel required.

I went to graduate school for speech pathology. If you are looking for a student to provide unsupervised therapy, please reconsider. That is against their code of ethics and could result in the student being disciplined by their program (up to expulsion) and/or prevent their ability to obtain professional certification. I believe you could, however, hire a student as a nanny and she can help implement any "homework"  your child's therapist gives, in the same manner and with the same expectations as you or any of your child's caregivers.