Renaissance International School for Elementary?
We are currently thinking about sending our children to the Renaissance International School in Oakland for Elementary school. There are a lot of things we like about the school, but we are hoping to get some opinions from past and current families.
If you're a current family: what do you like and dislike about the school as well as how long you have been in the upper school.
Specifically, if you left the school for a different school:
- How long did you stay?
- Why did you leave, was it at 6th grade or before?
- How well did your child transition to the new school?
- Were there issues because of the different teaching style? ie: math, spelling, homework, different classroom structure
- If before 6th grade, what did the new school offer that was not at Renaissance?
- Have you been happy with the switch?
- If willing to share, what school you went to?
- Some of the things that are really alluring are multi-language instruction, foreign cultural trips, outdoor education, small classrooms, music, art. Did you find ways to supplement those things at the other school? Or did you not find them to be as valuable to your child's education that you thought it might have been.
I'd love to hear from families whose children stayed through elementary or middle school and what your take was on the education your child received there. If you could do it over again, would you?
We are lucky that we live in an area where there are so many schools to choose from. But all that choice comes at the expense of feeling a bit overwhelmed with the options and wanting to choose the right school for your kid.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking to time to help give us some larger perspective.