Pelvic floor therapy at Kaiser

I have a 1 year old, and after a very long labor, things still don’t feel quite the same. I’m thinking a pelvic floor therapist would be helpful. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone at Kaiser who specializes in these issues? Especially Kaiser Richmond? Thanks!

Parent Replies

New responses are no longer being accepted.

The only person I’ve heard of through Kaiser is Rachel Gonsalves in Oakland. In my experience, you have to attend a group class before they will give you an individual appointment. I wasn’t able to attend the class because life is so unpredictable with a newborn so I haven’t gotten an appointment yet but my chiropractor recommended her and hopefully I will get in to work with her soon. 

FYI that's not how PT referral works at Kaiser.  (You cannot just get a rec and call for an appt like with PPO insurance.)  There is a pelvic floor specialist (wait is 6-8 weeks when I was referred in fall, and there is just one PF specialist), and they are at Kaiser Oakland so you'll have to drive down from Richmond.  Your OB/GYN can refer you to PT - just make sure they write "pelvic floor specialist" so you get the right person.  The specialist can then work out a treatment plan.  If there's a medical reason you need care sooner or can't drive to Oakland you might be able to work the denial of service letter process to get a letter to go out-of-network but that is highly, highly unlikely.   Hope this helps.  (I work for KP so fairly well versed in policy there.)   I would recommend you make an appt with your OB/GYN in-person so they can do the pelvic exam and document the problem.  In my case - there were some other issues going on that needed to be resolved (from my 3 hrs of pushing!) and resolving those actually fixed the problem moreso than the PT!

consider taking a workshop with Beth Z at léela yoya in alameda. she leads pelvic floor rehab classes and is great! and fun too!

I had pelvic floor PT at Kaiser Oakland a couple of years ago, and they only had one pelvic PT. If Richmond has one, they're likely to only have one as well, or you may need to go to Oakland. Your gyn should be able to refer you, but you probably don't have to go in with a name since you probably won't have a choice of more than one provider.

Three years ago I was referred to a pelvic specialist physical therapist by my gynecologist and she was great. She’s at Kaiser Richmond: Barbara Leivonen, PT Dept, 510-307-1551. Hope she’s still there.