Palatal expanders for 6 year old - any experience?
Several doctors have recommended upper and lower palatal expanders for my 6 year old. She has moderate sleep apnea, even after having adenotonsillectomy and turbinate reduction. Expansion will be about 6 months and retainers for 4 years after that to retain the expansion.
- Has anyone had their 6 y.o. wear expanders? (I know when the kids are slightly older like 7/8 it’s more tolerable and they’re just more mature...but how about for a younger child?)
- Was it painful to wear?
- How long did your child get “used to it”? The orthodontist said kids get used to it really quickly and it’s not a problem as long as there’s no “sensory issue”.
However, I’m wondering how any child could not have sensory issues if there are tight pieces of metal in their mouths 24/7? How do you even rest your tongue?
- How much do expanders affect eating?
- Did anyone’s young child do expansion SPECIFICALLY for sleep apnea? If so, did it work?
- who was your orthodontist?
I feel like we’re running out of options. I have heard of myofunctional therapy, but I don’t know how much “tangible result” we’ll get. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you!