Living on Bay Farm Island?
Like many, we've been reevaluating a lot this year and we're strongly considering moving from our house in the Oakland Hills to Bay Farm Island if we find the right property. We visit often to bike along the bay and the canals, but we don't know anyone who's actually lived there. We'd really appreciate any thoughts or feedback on any of the following:
- Sense of community? Maybe because there are few sidewalks in our hilly neighborhood, we know only a few neighbors after being here for years. We're looking for a place where we'll interact more with others and feel more a part of a community.
- Air pollution/noise from Oakland Airport? It doesn't seem too bad while we're over there now, but obviously air traffic is unusually low during Covid.
- Schools? Any feedback on what it might be like to join Bay Farm K-8 as a 6th grader? Does everyone on Bay Farm get a spot in the K-8 for middle school, or is there a chance we'd need to commute over to the other side of Alameda?
- Living in the hills we've gotten used to navigating the risks of wildfires, landslides, etc. We've never considered buying real estate in a coastal landfill area like Bay Farm. Any thoughts on particular things we should be considering as we look at properties?
- Any other thoughts on quality of life there?
Thank you so much!