Home improvement— Where do we begin? What help do we need?
We desperately need help but we are not sure what type of professional we need. Our challenges are:
- Lack of or inefficient use of storage space (clutter seems to pile up on every surface and corner. we have boxes of things stacked up and groceries often end up sitting on the floor.
- Lack of closet space (we have boxes and hampers of clothes sitting on the floor) Our existing closets, dressers and armoire are full.
- lack of space in general but the weird layout and architectural details of the house result in unused space
- terrible lighting but we don’t know how to add more light (lamps? What type do we buy and need and where and how do we put them?)
- finding a space for a dedicated work station away from spouse’s work station
- wall colors and where and how to hang pictures (what kind of pictures?) It has been several years since we moved and we still haven’t hung up pictures and painted walls because we feel lost and clueless.
- a small office and sunroom that are being used as junk room. We want these rooms to be maximized but we don’t know what to do with them. They are small and have a weird layout.
- we need new furniture for living room and dining room but we don’t know where to start. All the pieces we have are old, annoying and odd. We want comfortable workhorse furniture that will allow us to lounge, eat and drink and spill things.
- we don’t know what our style is but we generally don’t like contemporary or mid-century. We’d rather have comfortable and cozy things than pretty and uncomfortable things.
- converting the car port to ADU or extra room
- a second bath would be a dream but if there is no space, I would love to refresh our current bathroom (I hate it so much that I take a 5 minute shower to minimize spending time in the bathroom.)
- there is no hood over the stove. Lighting in the kitchen is terrible (just one overhead light).
- windows are old and rotten. Some of them look like they are about to fall out.
- window coverings without spending $10000 just on window coverings (a designer quoted $12k for shades!) I need help. I tried to do it myself and ended up crying and wasted money when the shades I ordered were all not quite right. I have no idea what I am doing.
We spoke with interior designers and they seemed to focus on looks with terribly expensive things than functional pieces that accommodate a messy family with a kid that likes to eat pizza, ice cream, and popcorn while watching TV and like to dance and wrestle.
We spoke with organizers and their first solution is get rid of many things. Yes. We need to get rid of some things but we also need help with storage solutions.
Budget… ADU or extra room, we are thinking of budgeting $200-250k. We have the funds to dedicate more if we knew what we need to do but we don’t even know where to begin, what to tackle first and when to plan for next. My spouse and I don’t have a design sense and get overwhelmed very easily when it comes to anything house related.
what kind of help do you think we need? Where can we begin to start making this house work for us instead of feeling like we are stuck in this oddly laid out house?