Help with Understanding Maternity Leave Benefits?
I'm expecting a baby in late October, and I'm having a challenging time trying to get clarity around how to take CA leave benefits.
I think I understand the basics:
- I can go out up to 4 weeks before my due date on Pregnancy Disability Leave (with Physician Note); 6-8 weeks State Disability for Recovery after birth, and 8 weeks of Paid Family Leave after that.
A key question I am getting conflicting answers about:
* I have heard there is a unpaid waiting period for the first seven days of any new claim in Disability Insurance. However, some parents have told me this starts the day I go out on Pregnancy Disability Leave (Before birth of baby), while others have said there was no waiting period during Pregnancy Disability Leave but there is a 7 day waiting period at the start of "Recovery" State Disability Leave (after the birth).
I would like to take my sick time during the unpaid waiting period, so I'm trying to figure out which week I need to submit a request for sick time from my employer.
Anyone out there able to tell me:
1. When does the 7 day waiting period begin? (ie: first day of PregDisabilityLeave, or Recovery Disability Leave. Or is there an unpaid week for both??...)
2. Can I use sick time to cover this 7 days? (ie, is that legal with the state, to use sicktime while waiting for a claim to be approved?)
3. Is there a number I can call to get these and other answers directly from the State of CA? I've tried the numbers I can find on the internet, and they just send me to a long web of recorded information, none of which answers this question.
It seems crazy that the only way to get this info is from other parents (but I'm SO grateful to y'all for helping get this info!). My HR person is uninterested in helping me figure it out, just says I need to work it out with the state.
Thanks so much for any insight!