geotechnical engineer recommendations?

Hi, we are looking for a geotechnical engineer to conduct a soils investigation and issue a soils report in preparation for a mat foundation of a hillside home. Any recommendations?

Parent Replies

Parents, want to reply to this question? Sign in to post.

I've used the services from Allen Gruen a number of times in my work as an architect. He's located on Grand Ave in Oakland. Phone is (510) 839-0765

I have used Alan Kropp who I think is the best locally. He has also been helpful when I have called him for friends in other areas. I am a licensed engineer in CA although I don’t practice and highly recommend him. 

I'm a landscape architect and so can't necessarily speak to technical competence, but I recently worked with Dave Olnes for geotechnical services for a pool and terraces after he was referred to me by a structural engineer.  It was a pleasure to work with him.  He's based in Oakland and pops right up with a google search.  There will be a lead time, but I think that's the case with everyone right now.

We used Townsend Brown for our project in the Berkeley Hills.  He was easy to work with and responded to Berkeley planning questions which made plan approval easier.