Daycare vs. Bilingual Nanny for 4-month old infant
We have a 4-month old that we will need to send to daycare (already secured a spot at Cornerstone Childcare Center) or hire a nanny. We hope the baby to be bilingual but are unsure how important it is for the baby to be immersed in that environment now. We would love to hear from other parents and especially if you have opted both options for different kids. Other pros and cons for us:
Pros for daycare:
- More affordable
- Only 5 minutes walk from us
- Social interactions (? we're also unclear how important this is at this stage)
Cons for daycare:
- I need to go in to breastfeed (or substitute one feed with a bottle; I hope to continue breastfeeding for as long as possible, but worry that she'd develop bottle preference after)
- little time to see the baby if the baby goes to sleep at 7pm (I have some mom guilt here)
- More germs and sicknesses (but some say early exposure is not a bad idea?)
Pros for nanny:
- The nanny speaks our mother tongue
- Flexible timing
- Baby will nap better (she currently is not a good napper, but are crappy naps at daycare just something we need to accept?)
Cons for nanny
- We won't save as much financially (it's workable, but not comfortable)
- We considered nanny share, but our space is not big. We could potentially make the space work to host two babies, but it would be tight. If we were to go to another family's house, then it would be further than the daycare option we found.
- I work from home 100%, perhaps I will crave some quiet space without the baby at some point, even though now it feels hard?
Appreciate any thoughts/insights or advice!