Bought a home, squatter help
My husband and I just bought a home in Berkeley. The seller's stepdaughter (probably in her 50's) has lived in the home for years and is refusing to move out. She does not have a lease or estoppel or any other type of written document and does not pay any rent or utilities. She was offered a buyout a few times (other potential buyers) when the home was on the market, accepted the offer, and then refused to leave when the time came to exit the property. The seller and stepdaughter have an estranged relationship. Given this information, we are struggling with next steps.
- Should we hire an attorney to advise us? Any recommendations on attorneys who can help us navigate this?
- Should we attempt to talk to her first before even talking to an attorney?
- Is she legally even considered a tenant? Is she a squatter?
- Has anyone been through a similar situation and can offer some advice/insight?
- The seller is asking that we transfer all utilities under our name. We would like to shut off all utilities because we are not planning on moving in immediately. We are planning a large renovation and in the process of getting contractors/architects to come out to the property. I'm not even sure if this is possible if she is still living there.