Recovering from fundamentalist upbringing

Archived Responses: 

Hello there, I've been realizing how much my fundamentalist religious background has been affecting my life even though its been a while since I went to church. I still get scared maybe they were right and I have trouble trusting myself or just enjoying life. I also have a very hard time relating to family members that are still believers. Can anyone suggest a therapist that specializes in this? Does anyone relate? Hoping

Marlene Winell, author of ''Leaving the Fold: A Guide for Former Fundamentalists and Others Leaving Their Religion'', has moved her psychotherapy practice to Berkeley. She has individual sessions as well as group ones, 510-649-1256. I am proudly in ''religious recovery''; you might check her website ( to see if her background and approach seem right for you. Sarah

I know Lor Fjerkenstad, who is the former director of Center for Psychological and Spirtual Health, does specialize in spiritual and religious issues. She works out of Holos Institute in the Rockridge area of Oakland. She can be reached at 510-273-9388. Anon

After leaving a fundamentalist church, it was several years before I was comfortable in a church setting -- even a religiously liberal church. But thanks to a boyfriend (now husband) who is also a former fundamentalist, I ventured into a Unitarian Universalist church. There I found many like-minded spiritual people and teaching/preaching that has helped me develop my own non-fundamentalist non-hellfire/damnation faith. I would recommend visiting one of the local UU churches, or perhaps a Quaker church, or some other established religiously liberal group. I stress the term ''established'' because there are many cults who will prey on people seeking support and help. (If you are wondering about what makes a group a cult, try googling Robert J. Lifton's 8 criteria for mind control or the International Cultic Studies Association.) - immigrant to the religious left