Archived Responses: 

April 2003

I am looking for either for a specialist or an OB/GYN with experience in treating patients with endometriosis. I have found that my own OB does not have the level of knowledge and experience that I need. I am facing some tough decisions, in particular whether to have surgery to confirm the diagnosis and/or to treat my symptoms, and I would like to have someone whom I can trust to lead me through this time. Thank you. Mom in Pain

Recommendations received:

  • Debra Levinsky
  • Richard Rudd
  • Hank Streitfeld

    Other advice:

    I highly recommend Dr. David Redwine, who works at the Endometriosis Treatment Program at St. Charles Medical Center in Bend, Oregon. I had surgery with him 15 years ago after many years of undiagnosed pain from endometriosis and have been symptom-free since then. He has focussed his practice on thoroughly researched, expert treatment of endometriosis for many years. There is a lot of information available on the website for this program at http://www.endometriosistreatment.org/. It may seem extreme to go out of state for surgery, but I felt it was worth getting expert care. Their program is set up to facilitate arrangements for out of state patients.

    Another resource is the Endometriosis Association, a self-help support group with chapters in a number of countries. They have several Bay Area chapters. Their website is http://www.endometriosisassn.org/, and it contains information about contacting the local chapters. I would be happy to discuss my experience in more detail. Please feel free to contact me. Sally