Related page: Swim Teams
My middle schooler has enjoyed playing water polo this summer at Cal Blue Camp, and wants to keep playing, but I can't find any water polo teams in the Berkeley area during the school year. I found Lamorinda Water Polo but is there anything closer? It looks like the Berkeley Y used to have a team, but I don't see water polo on their website or in the schedule. Does anyone have any leads? Thanks!
Several people responded directly to me about my question about water polo so I wanted to summarize the suggestions I got (thanks to all):
1. Lamorinda Water Polo http://lamorindawaterpolo.org/ Offers evening classes 3x week for middle school and high school students. Classes are held at various high schools in Moraga, Orinda, etc.
2. El Cerrito Swim Center (City of El Cerrito) http://www.el-cerrito.org/index.aspx?nid=450 Has a masters co-ed water polo team for age 19 and older, per their website, but one parent told me ''My son played water polo at a pickup league at the El Cerrito pool on Moeser when he was in high school. My sense is that they let anyone play and the ability range is pretty substantial ...''
3. Alameda Water Polo Club at Emma Hood Swim Center (City of Alameda) http://aquaticsfan.com/alameda/clubs/alameda-water-polo-club Per their website, they offer water polo classes for ages 9 to 18 four evenings a week.
4. Oakland Water Polo Club (didn't find a website) A parent wrote: ''I've also heard of the Oakland Water Polo Club that's run by the coaches of BHS/Piedmont/Bishop O'Dowd, although I couldn't find anything more about it when I searched online.''
5. Albany School District Pool http://www.ausdk12.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=92446=d A parent wrote that her daughter was in a water polo camp over the summer but water polo is not offered in the fall.
6. City of Berkeley/BUSD http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/contentdisplay.aspx?id=5672 Does not have water polo at either of the pools, King or West Campus, although there is a water polo team at the high school.
I'm looking for a water polo class or group, hopefully in the East Bay. The Berkeley Y no longer has a group. Thanks.
Check for water polo classes at the El Cerrito pool. I have seen groups practicing there. kl
There is a master's club (East Bay Masters) at the El Cerrito pool that works out on Tuesday and Thursday evenings as well as Sunday late afternoon. This is the group that used to be at the Berkeley Y. You can contact Helen at hsk696 [at] yahoo.com for more information. Amy
I have searched the archived lists but need some specific information about where my son can start playing water polo. My son is in 7th grade , 13 years, and is looking for some exposure to this sports during the summer either in Alameda or close by. Much Thanks Greg
The Berkeley YMCA has a pick up Water Polo game on Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:00 till 9:30 pm. I have been going for 6 years now and we enjoy teaching people young and old how to play the game. I introduced my son to the game at the age of 10 and he played with us till he was 15 and it became uncool to be seen and god forbid have fun with parents. Anyway all levels of players attend and we always welcome new players. 8:00 to 8:30 is warm up 8:30 to 9:30 is scrimmage. By the way we don't keep score. Feel free to contact me if you like. Mike