Childcare for Special Needs Children

Archived Responses: 
Questions Related Pages

Daycare options for infant with hearing loss?

Sept 2010

I am writing to seek some advice/recommendations that the BPN community may have for good daycare arrangements for my infant son. He was born with hearing loss (bilaterial microtia/canal atresia - he was born without outer ears or ear canals, but has a functional hearing nerve) and is currently fitted with a bone-anchored hearing aid, which we hope will aid in his speech development; we also plan on signing with him to aid this process. We will need to put him in part time daycare starting in October, when he will be 4 months old. We would appreciate any advice from those of you with similar experiences regarding the type of care that you found useful for your infant with hearing loss - did you find one-on-one care more suitable than a group setting? any specific people/daycare centers that you would recommend? what skills did you find it useful for daycare staff to have to aid in your child's development? We have looked into CEID in Berkeley, but they do not take children until they are 18 months old, so we need to find a daycare solution until then. Thank you for your help! Rita

I do not know how young they start kids but certainly the parents in this community would be an excellent resource... CH

Take a look at our website St. John's Childcare

We have a great infant room, and although our waitlist is long - we give priority on it to families who have children with extra developmental needs - right now we do have some fall spaces. We also have consultative support from an OT, PT & a speech therapist, for kids, parents & teachers through a grant with first five.

Give me a call or an email if you'd like to tour or learn more about St Johns. Celeste

Another resource you might try for suggestions is Support for Families of Children with Disabilities. It's located in SF but they could also connect you with the equivalent family resource center in the East Bay, if you aren't connected already. JM


Home Nursing

August 1999


For children under three with developmental disabilities, there are federally funded programs (not need based) that provide infant stimulation and some respite nursing care free of charge. In some cases, these services continue after age 3. I would highly recommend that you contact the Regional Center of the East Bay (they will evaluate your child, make an individualized service plan, contact care providers etc). Their number is 510-383-1200. Another resource which might be helpful is Through the Looking Glass at 510-848-1112. There is a shortage of skilled nursing in this area and we have found lots of problems with finding reliable providers. I would recommed calling Addus Healthcare although I can't find their number right now. I have also heard good things about Nightengale Nursing.
Jeanna 8/99