Poison Oak

Parent Q&A

  • Poison Oak: experience with Oral Ivy?

    (2 replies)

    My son gets crazy bad poison oak at least twice a season since he loves to be outdoors. Has anyone had experience successfully using Oral Ivy? I'm ready to try it on him (he's 15) for the rest of the season since school is starting and he doesn't want to miss school if he contracts it again. I'd love to hear whether this homeopathic remedy works. Thanks!

    Hopefully someone else can address your actual question, because I am not.  I have no experience with Oral Ivy.

    I am very active outdoors and go off-trail often.  I find the notion that one would "get crazy bad poison oak" because you love to be outdoors false logic.  I get quite the reaction to poison oak (anything with urushiol as I grew up in the south around poison ivy).   Here is my strategy:

    1) Learn what poison oak looks like and AVOID IT.  If it's winter and there are only sticks: AVOID IT.  If you aren't sure?  Avoid it.  Once you pay attention for a few seasons it's rather easy to identify. 

    2) Carry some "Mean Green" ** in the trunk of the car.  If I suspect I might have gotten PO on me I will wash/rinse off the affected area with the Mean Green.  I did this for a few years but I've found I haven't needed it in a long time and no longer bother.  Changing clothes and taking a shower (not a bath) as soon as possible after exposure also helps.

    3) Go to the Sierra!  Once you're above 4500-5000 feet you don't need to worry anymore.  ;-)

    ~Poison Oak hater

    ** Mean Green is an industrial cleaner with an off-label use to remove urushiol better than standard soaps/detergents.  Do your own research and decide if you want to use it.  I have the liquid variety (not the textured hand cleaner).  Either should work.

    Lived  near poison oak all of my life.  It's everywhere right now.  Have tried everything, none of them have ever worked except abstinence.  Over time your body either get use to it or reactions get worse. 

    A few year ago my daughter accidently ran into a poison oak patch.  She was covered with the rash.  The meds blew he had up like an over inflated balloon and her friends didn't even recognize her.
    By definition a homeopathic remedy should give you poison oak.

    Got to go know, you are making me scratch.

Archived Q&A and Reviews

May 2003

My son has a horrindous case of poison oak. What are some favorite effective remedies. We've tried all of the sta dards and it keeps spreading. Symmetry

Technu, Technu, Technu! My son and I are extremely allergic to poison oak, and Technu products are miraculous. There is a wash to use if you know that you have encountered poison oak and it hasn't yet appeared and even if it's just starting, which binds with the poison oak oil and washes it away. There is also an anti-itch gel for when the rash has already progressed. If his rash is extremely severe, which it might be by the time you see this digest, an antihistamine may be the only way to go. I would definitely go to Longs (that's where I get it; other places probably carry it also) and stock up for future episodes. Joan

For temporary (2-3 hours) relief from itching, run *hot* water over the affected areas. obviously you don't want to scald, but the hotter the better. heat brings out the histamines (the itch causing agents) and hot water will deplete the body's supply for a few hours; plus it feels really nice on the affected skin. I get the meanest cases when I get it, and this is the one sure relief I've found. itchy

I've never known anyone who had worse poison oak than I have and I tried every imaginable lotion, medication, etc. In the end, the thing that works for me is: ice. Bags of crushed ice. Once I made a bed of ice and lay down on it and someone then covered me with ice. When I am walking around, I have bags of ice with me, and put it on wherever it starts to itch. This is the only thing that keeps me from feeling the itching, and not scratching is the only thing that keeps it from spreading. It itches when it gets hot and the ice keeps it from getting hot enough. Also, it just numbs the sensations. This gives the whole thing time to heal. It works for me after years of trial and error--I hope it can be of some help to you. Lissa

It might be too late for your kid, but Tecnu is a very effective cleanser for the oils that cause poison oak irritation. You can put it on your skin before contact, and it will prevent poison oak; you can clean poison oak off after contact; you can wash your shoes and gear in it; you can put it on the rash and it will help stop the itching. It is amazing stuff. You can find it at Safeway sold under the ''oak-n-ivy'' label. Chaparral Ecologist

If it's really bad and keeps spreading, I would suggest going to the docter and getting a shot of cortizone or a prescription for cortizone pills. If you don't like that idea, try benedryl, taken internally. Most topical creams don't work very well. The best is clamine lotion. You want the blisters to dry out and heal and not get infected. I found a medicated clalimine lotion to be most soothing. You should also try Donboro, an astrigent solution found in any drug store, works well to relieve skin irritation and inflamation from poison oak. Witch Hazel is a milder astringent you can try too. Laurey

I get terrible poison oak.

All of the suggestions so far are great and I've used them, especially the blasting under hot-as-you-can-stand water. Provides hours of relief and feelsgreat whenyou are doing it.

Another treatment I just discovered is ''Zanfel'', an OTC topical cream. Provides the best relief from itching. You can learn more at www.zanfel.com. Down side is it is very expensive, $38/tube. However, I found it worth it, as I was in such misery before. dana

I have always been very sensitive to poison oak and as a child had to get cortisone shots to make it heal at all. As an adult, I have discovered two wonderful treatments: Hyland's homeopathic Poison Oak/Ivy pills, which make the affected areas heal quickly and reduce the itching, and clay on the rash area, which both dries out the blisters and soothes the itching. I get both the pills and and dry bulk red clay at Whole Foods in Berkeley. If I begin taking the pills as soon as the rash starts to develop, I can sometimes prevent it from fully developing at all. It's fabulous! Some people take Rustox (sp?) pills, which is the main ingredient in the Hyland's remedy, and which you can also get at Whole Foods in their homeopathic area. Laura

Recently I have used Aloe (as sold in stores in bottles) to put on both itchy bites and itchy poison oak. It cools and takes the itchiness away to the point there is no scratching, however it does sting for a while. I've only used it for small poison oak patches, however, so I don't know how it would work for bad reactions over a large area. Susan