Monkey Business Camp: Youth Leader Positions at Summer Camp
At Monkey Business Camp, the youth leader program is designed to be a low-pressure learning environment, relaxed and fun. Youth leaders participate in every aspect of the weekly program and will be with various staff, so they learn different tricks of the trade. Youth leaders provide support with free play, circle activities, and time spent exploring the unique environs of Tilden Park. In addition, they’ll develop their leadership skills, with chances to co-lead games, songs, make announcements, increasing as they attend camp over time (they do not usually start off leading as much, but grow into it). The majority of our staff were former youth leaders, those who attended consistently at our camp, over multiple summers and school breaks. Youth leaders regularly report that this was a unique and valuable growth experience for them! Campers love our youth leaders and look up to them as role models, often anticipating for years moving up to the position themselves.
This experience looks good on your teenager’s extracurricular activity resume and parents sometimes inquire about hiring them for babysitting outside of camp. Upon request, we provide letters of recommendation that can be used for independent high school applications, future employment opportunities and college applications.
“His confidence, sense of responsibility and empathy have all grown tremendously with this experience–and, most importantly, he loves it!”
Details for Summer Camp are on our website, with some specifics below.
• Location is Tilden Park, a wonderful natural backdrop for our classic camp activities, which are 100% unplugged and outdoors.
• Camp Dates-we have 3 main three-week sessions, and a few shorter options
- June 5-7: 3-day camp (Wed-Fri)
- June 10-28: three-week session – 100% Full (Waitlist Available)
- July 1-3: 3-day camp (Mon-Wed)
- July 8-26: three-week session
- July 29-Aug 9: two-week session
- Aug 12-16: one-week session
- Aug 12, 13 (M&T two-day option)
- Note about school start dates: Berkeley and Albany Unified return to school Wed, Aug 14th; West Contra Costa on Monday, Aug 19th. Oakland on Mon, Aug 5th.
• Camp hours for youth leaders are 8:25-4:35
• Pricing is the same as 2023, with three sliding scale tiers, no-cost payment plans, and scholarships available.
“Monkey Business is an excellent camp. My son has been attending since he was eight years old and in the last couple of years he began the CIT program. Watching him develop leadership skills in addition to experiencing enriching activities has been a wonderful combination! The staff at Monkey Business is caring and professional and they have provided fabulous mentorship for him.”