East Bay Solidarity School: 4 spots open for BIPOC kids
TL;DR: We have just begun the Fall 2020 semester. We have 4 open spots for kids who identify as Black, Indigenous, or People of Color. Kids should be at least 5 years old, and they should be able to social-distance and wear masks. We currently have 25 kids, ages 5-10yo, in 4 mixed-age pods; we are very interested in enrolling pre-teens and teens. We are in the process of rebranding, which includes updating our domain name; you can read about our program at our old domain: emergentlearningflock.com.
WHO WE ARE: The East Bay Solidarity School (EBSS) is a grassroots collective of outdoor educators that formed to support families as they adapt to the Pandemic situation. We offer outdoor, pod-based childcare. Our program is grounded in collective decision making, earth-centered learning, and transformative justice. We believe in the power of play and projects as a way to achieve traditional learning goals and learn real life skills. Projects and themes will be emergent and kid-driven, so we can’t say now exactly what we’ll be doing, but the tool kits we’ve already prepared include supplies for light carpentry, cooking, high energy games, herbal medicine, crafts, and theatre.
At EBSS, kids and teachers plan the day together. By talking through how they want to spend their time, our kids practice weaving the fabric of community: balancing the various needs and (sometimes conflicting!) desires within the group.
WHERE? The program is all outside in nature! We are primarily based out of the Gill Tract Farm, but plan to do various excursions to parks around the bay.
- The UC Gill Tract Community Farm
- 1050 San Pablo Ave, Albany, CA 94706
WHEN? We have split the fall semester into two sessions. Session 1 has already begun.
- Session 1:
- 7 weeks, Tue Sep 1st - Thu Oct 15th
- Tu-W-Th, 11am-4pm
- Session 2:
- 8 weeks, Tue Oct 20th - Thu Dec 17th
- Tu-W-Th, 11am-4pm
- excludes these holidays:
- Wed Nov 11th -- Veterans Day
- Nov 23rd - 27th -- Thanks-taking
IS EBSS RIGHT FOR YOU? We designed EBSS for families who respond with an enthusiastic "yes" to the following questions:
- Would you like your child to have a lot of agency over their own educational path, via child-centered collective decision making?
- Do you believe in the need for reparations?
- Do you want your child to be in a space that is majority children of color?
- Do you believe play is essential to learning?
- FILL OUT our ENROLLMENT SURVEY, for EACH CHILD you are enrolling. If you are enrolling 2 children, fill out the survey TWICE.
- WAIT to hear from a teacher who will confirm your spot in the program, or put you on the waitlist.; If you don’t hear from us within 48 hours, please email us.
- While you wait, READ our PARENT TEACHER AGREEMENT FORM and MEDIA RELEASE FORM.
- PRINT and SIGN these forms once you’ve received confirmation that we have space for you. The Agreement Form is mandatory, the Media Release Form is optional. Bring them on your first day of program and give them to your anchor teacher.
Love and Solidarity,