Children's Community Center (CCC): Seeking Preschool Afternoon Teacher-Director
Children's Community Center (CCC) is a parent-teacher cooperative preschool located in North Berkeley. In operation since 1927, CCC offers a year-round, play-based program run by a professional teaching staff and managed by parents.
Our school is looking for a collaborative leader to fill the role of Afternoon Teacher-Director. We are seeking a communicative, compassionate team player with a strong commitment to anti-bias values.
The Teacher-Director leads the year-around afternoon program Monday through Friday, from 11:00 pm to 5:30 pm. They will direct a teaching staff of two to three teachers and work with children aged three to five. The afternoon program gives children the opportunity to participate in organized activities and a variety of curriculum projects, as well as to play in a relaxed, self-directed way. The program provides a balance between active and quiet play, as well as large and small group activities. The afternoon program philosophy reflects that of CCC -- building community, inclusiveness, and creating a safe place for all to learn.
Main responsibilities and duties:
- Develop a curriculum founded on play-based, social-emotional, creative, and anti-bias concepts. Work collaboratively with other Teacher-Directors and the Board of Directors on program management and design.
- Plan varied daily activities each week and prepare materials and equipment for the program.
- Supervise and engage children during the afternoon program in child-initiated and organized activities, encouraging peer interaction as well as helping with problem-solving and conflict resolution.
- Work in conjunction with morning Teacher-Directors to ensure mutual clean-up and sharing of classroom, i.e. consult with other Teacher-Directors about room organization, storage and clean-up responsibility.
- Supervise, train, give feedback to, and evaluate staff under one’s direct supervision. Direct afternoon staff regarding specific daily duties.
- Communicate with families about their children's needs and growth, and attend parent-teacher conferences.
- Attend monthly evening board meetings and staff meetings, as well as various school activities.
- Must possess at least 15 semester units in Early Childhood Education, including at least 3 semester units in administration or staff relations.
- A Bachelor of Arts degree (or be in the process of completing such degree), and a minimum of 4 years of experience in the field (2 years teaching and 2 years administration).
- Must comply with all applicable requirements for “Day Care Center Directors” found in section 101215.1 of the California Code of Regulations.
Hours range: Weekdays 11:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Salary: $30.00-$32.00/hour, comprehensive benefits.
CCC is an equal opportunity employer. Facility License # 010200115. Please send resume and cover letter.